Saturday, March 2, 2013

"Rise" Hussein Chalayan F/W 13.14 Paris Prêt-à-Porter

Hussein Chalayan has gained a little criticism for his past few collections not having as much strength as they did once upon a time. The man known for creating THE bubble dress for Lady Gaga (legit bubbles) and the infamous coffee table dress (excuse me but I HAVE to post it, it rocks my world every time I see it).

thefashionlist.com
 
(cont.) was accused of running out of design inspiration. It is understandable that critics expect the same ingenious creativity once a designer has exercised their mojo but Hussein Chalayan made sure we knew he was still inspired with his latest collection.
 
Believe me, you must  see it in motion to appreciate it:
 
 
(the magic happens at 2:37 for those strapped for time)
 

 
More than just a transformation, the model gives a swift tug at the top of her cocktail dress to have the fabric fall like liquid to become a full-length gown. Cameras VISIBLY flashed like mad and I only imagine a few audience members gasped with glee (I sure did and I'm not afraid to admit that once it happened two more times I had teared up).
 
 
^click dat gif
 
 

 
 
The execution was flawless, fierce and simple. For all of it's power, I was reminded of the sublime work of Alexander McQueen and the many times when his visions came alive on the runway. My heart filled with expectation with each dress that came out and I caught myself remembering the real meaning of fashion inspired: it pulls you into a dream.
 
Flawless-in-motionness aside, what about the rest of the collection?
 


 
It does not disappoint.
 

A flawless (and surprising) knitted sweater paired with a full skirt, an avant-garde biker jacket and more than a few pretty a-line skirts made the collection stunning.
 







I'm a massive critic of prints when it comes to most collections-- where normally I would find prints tacky, Hussein Chalayan was eccentrically dynamic and mystifying with his choices. A few were reminiscent of Picasso, then it moved to my personal favorite: long electric lines that were akin to thermal imaging (simply divine, the dark red look with the accentuated/puffy collar may be one of my favorite looks ever). Last, he incorporated some pop-out coral/floral print that reminded me of Christian Lacroix haute couture with a Viktor & Rolf edge. I was pleased and couldn't find a look I disliked.
 
 
 
Who would have ever thought Hussein Chalayan could do denim so well?
 
Fingers crossed that this innovative gorgeousness inspires other designers to be as original and imaginative. Fashion is an art and that has largely been forgotten.
 
Images also from: style.com and tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment